Wednesday 12 March 2014

Music: Toheart (Woohyun and Key) - Delicious MV



I don't think I'm going to do a full album review for Toheart because I don't have too much to say about it. Rather, I'll do this post up instead to give props to the rather well done MV and to give my thoughts on their title song which I'm honestly.. You'll read about it. Anyway the MV was revealed two days ago but I only got to watch it today because I was so caught up with uni.

Music wise, it is obviously not totally in my comfort zone. While I appreciate a rather wide range of songs from fluff to hip hop to ballads, overly poppish and in-your-face-happy songs I usually steer away from. Delicious seems quite that kind of track. In my opinion it overdid the funky 60s sound a little too much, didn't do too much justice to Woohyun's vocals (or maybe a little too much with the seemingly forced adlibs, but Key sounds way better than I thought) and the lyrics that were too overtly dialogue coupled with the kind of one dimensional dance I can't help but cringe at.

Though, I do enjoy the beat especially like in the intro song.

Just to say, I'm feeling rather sad as I'm typing this considering how excited I was about it and the fact that I'm a huge fan of Woohyun. On the upside on the album I think that Tell Me Why and 출발 are pretty great tracks at my first listen! (Update: They're good. I like.)



The visuals of the MV very well suited the vibe of the song. I liked the vibrant colours and the styling of the members are done very well. Woohyun looks helluva suave with the dapper hair and suits, while Key had a very funky rugged yet put-together look. One thing I have to give props for is how the members look so distinct yet harmonious; as a unit you can distinguish them very easily at first glance and they didn't have outfits that overtly tell of their relation, yet they still worked together. Styling (especially for Woohyun's very Ryan Gosling-esque hair) receives two thumbs up from me.

Delicious also had a couple of very adorable scenes like their double-decker bed MT-looking scene and the morning after scene. I also felt that the dance scenes were handled rather tastefully, not overwhelming the entire video while providing enough interest with its camera work. However, I also wonder why if the lack of inclusion of an actual lady, considering the song is about their fight over a lady, is wise because it kind of made it look a little yaoi fanfic-ish.

The MV had also quite a couple of obviously hipster elements like the vintage storeroom & its props and the font of the starting credits. Nothing too in your face or jarring, just something interesting because I find interesting in a high-budget kpop MV. I'm gonna throw it out there and say that Woollim probably had a larger part to play in the visuals of the MV (box MVs anyone?).



While I am rather disappointed with the sound of the title track (since Prologue I and Prologue II was so good, both in looks and sound; kinda Nell-ish), I feel that they have a lot of room to explore combining both's sense of musicality into a sound that's more distinct and perhaps less generic kpop. Since I believe they created Toheart with the idea of it not being a one-off project group, I hope future sounds rolled out will appeal to me a bit more!

On the side note, indie hip-hop group Play The Siren completed their showcase in 홍대 successfully a few days back! They're pretty dope so do check them out if that's your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment